American Pool Checkers Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» William Chinzewe - Young Sportsman of the Year
by Admin Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:40 pm

» Newly Updated 2024 Tournament Flyer
by deakjgs Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:03 pm

» I remember...
by Mzee Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:45 pm

» Rookie's Home Going
by deakjgs Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:13 pm

» Checker Festival in Maxton, N. C.
by Admin Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:56 pm

» Kondrachenko position
by Admin Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

» The "Now" Checkers by Momodou Faal
by Admin Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:58 am

» Checker Event in Durham, N. C.
by deakjgs Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:26 am

» Mr. Spencer (Chicago) Taylor celebrates his 96th birthday.
by Admin Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:08 pm

Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey

2 posters

Go down

Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey Empty Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey

Post  Youngblood Thu May 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Welcome to the "My Draughts" Pool Checkers Notation Preferences Survey

The purpose of this survey is to determine Notational preferences of the Pool Checkers Community. Thank you for your help.

Update: The "Vote Link" has been removed as the plugin that I was using does not allow me to see the actual votes unless I purchase the pro version of the plugin. No doing. I was able to see the participants but not the votes. I just want to thank all participants.

Last edited by Youngblood on Mon May 29, 2023 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Youngblood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey Empty Re: Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey

Post  Admin Mon May 29, 2023 10:43 am

Hi all,

In the early 1900" straight checkers players started tinkering with other games. Some went to Brooklyn to play the Polish Jew named Sam at his grocery, others wrote back home in Europe to find out more about the Minor Polish checkers, about Spanish Pool, etc. They played a few tournaments and used the familiar numeric notation and black moving first.
We now know more about the game, it was popular in Germany and had several variations, including the Brazilian and Russian checkers.
Chess was dominant in Russia and they applied chess characteristics to checkers, thus white move first and the alphanumeric notation.

Frankly it doesn't matter who was right, checkers is played differently in every country, there were never any written rules. It's prudent now to unify the rules for all three variations (Russian, Pool and Brazilian) to make it easier to switch from one game to another, in fact the coming African championship will have all three variations! I believe they will play the Blitz in Pool, Rapid in Brazilian and the Classic in Russian. In all white move first, chess notaton.

Chess (algebraic) notation is easier to remember than numbers, horizontal lines share the same number, and all vertical lines share the same letter.
Pool Checkers Notational Preferences Survey Zhjj21t
Kaplan wrote his books using this notation, and everyone I asked said they had no problem understanding it.
My new book http://poolcheckers.com/books/Kacher/Kacher_Pool_Collection_Strategy_and_Analysis.pdf is also written in the same style.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://poolcheckers.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum